Get IN here!

The storm had waned. The moon was full behind the lingering clouds. The roads were wet. Leaves were now all over the ground, heavy from rain, leaving beautiful "patches" of red, yellow, orange and every shade in between like blankets on the grass. I slept and lounged most of the day, exhausted from the early morning birth. (See previous post) I was getting texts off and on about show and signs that another baby would be coming so I kept my tasks minimal-sleep, eat, pump milk, snuggle my baby, knit, and anything else that involved my hind end staying in bed.

Around 4-5 the mom text a list of contractions that were all 15-45 minutes apart. She went out to run errands with her husband. She told me the back door would be unlocked for us later.

Around 7 I was surprised by my almost 20 year old son stopping by for a visit. I hadn't seen him in a couple months and my heart soared. It was so good to chat with him and catch up on his life, giggle over his new drivers license he worked hard to get-typical DMV photo with "bed head". It made my day-which was already awesome from the early morning birth.

At 8:17 I got a text that contractions suddenly started at 2 minutes apart and they were intense. Luckily I live close so I told the family I was on the way, gathered my purse, pump, giant water bottle and other supplies including my knitting and left. I told my student to grab some coffee and meet me there. I figured we had a few short hours-she was probably already in transition.

At 8:43 I found my way around to the back door. I'd never come in that way, but since they were having the front steps repaved there was no way to get in the front door several feet off the ground. I was carrying the birth tub, the clean up bag, my main "medic bag" that's always the first in, my purse and pump...I shuffled the bags up my arm and turned the knob. It didn't budge. I twisted the other way. No movement. I jiggled the knob and tried twisting hard again. Finally-which I hate to do as it seems so disturbing, I knocked. I silently prayed I was not knocking on the wrong neighbor's utility room door at almost 9 at night. No response. I set down the birth tub and backpack. I waited a few seconds. It is a utility door, probably leading into a back, unused room so I went ahead and loudly rapped on the door figuring I'd apologize afterwards for being so loud and disturbing. Still. No. Answer. I sighed, put down one more bag and fished my phone out of my purse.

It rang once then a moment of silence on the other end.

"The baby's coming!! The baby's coming!!Thebaby'scoming!!Thebaby'scoming!!"

--I responded "hello?" "I'm at your back door"

"Come in-the baby's coming-the door's unlocked"

--"No. It's not. I'm at your back door and I can't open it"

Next thing I know the door flings open and we are running. Dropped my purse in the utility room. Stepped out of my shoes in the hallway as I ran following dad. Shed my sweater at the bathroom door. He stepped into the bathroom and then pulled me in after him.

I see mama on her hands and knees and this pink, squashed face pointing up at me.

--"Ok. I'm here. Take a big breath. Go ahead and push again."

Out she slid into my hands and I stretched under mama laying her screaming pink daughter on the towel under her chest. She scooped her up and squeezed her close.

Dad gave me the hugest hug from behind and we made eye contact and laugh-cried. No words were needed. What an intense, amazing, moment. Mama looked up at me and I just smiled through tears shaking my head.

A little too much bleeding. A little shot of pitocin. A little bit of clean up and a few hours later mama was tucked into bed, warm and cozy. Sweet girl was a little fussy and nursing on and off. We tucked some arnica and aconite into her neck roll and she rapidly calmed down. Homeopathics are wonderful for a baby who is a little stunned at what they just experienced.

A slice of pecan pie with the family to celebrate.


Looking at the placenta was super cool. I laid it out and surprisingly it was a perfect heart shape! No adjusting or tucking to make it "sorta be heart shaped." Just -bam-with a perfect middle cord insertion and little suck bubble on the cord where she had been practicing in the womb. (seen in pic below on the top right lobe of the heart) What a rad little organ that kept this baby girl growing healthy and strong!


What a PERFECT day!!!!!
A boy and a girl. 
Two land babies.
Fast, intense and filled with loving energy!
I'll be on a birth high the rest of Thanksgiving week <3
Best.Job.Ever.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts